While our community is rightly focused on how we safely reopen for the school year, it is important to also focus on the quality of instruction and the learning environment for our students. The Providence Public School District is excited to roll out a number of new learning initiatives that we believe will improve student achievement.
- Virtual Learning Academy: The Virtual Learning Academy will be 100 percent remote and maintain grade-level learning for the 2020-2021 school year. In grades K-8, students will have access to the same high-quality instructional materials, course offerings and programming that they would in their current school. In grades 9-12, students will leverage an online platform for access to online, grade-level content and courses aligned to meet their graduation requirements.
- Reopening Academy: During the first week, all returning students will benefit from a new, start-of-school Reopening Academy, with a special social-emotional learning curriculum designed to help them process the events of the past six months. The academy will also focus on practicing safety and operational routines and technology tools and rebuilding academic habits.
- Guaranteed 1:1 device access for students.
- New, more rigorous instructional materials and content in key grades with aligned resources for on-line learning.
- A district-wide learning management system to house resources and student work.