The health and safety of our students, teachers, staff and wider community are our top priorities as we reopen for the 2020-2021 school year. We are following all Rhode Island Department of Education (RIDE), Rhode Island Department of Health (RIDOH), and Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines and best practices. Working together, if we all follow these rules and guidelines, we can make our school environment as safe as possible. We are asking everyone to closely review and follow the health and safety protocols we have put in place and that are summarized below.
Face Masks Required
- The wearing of cloth or disposable face masks will be required for all students, teachers, staff, and visitors throughout the school day. This includes:
- When students ride the bus to or from school.
- When students arrive and are dismissed from a school or facility.
- When students are in classrooms.
- When students are in common areas and hallways.
- All visitors to Providence schools or facilities must wear a face mask.
- Providence Schools will provide all students with one cloth face mask. Every school will also have a supply of disposable masks available in case students or staff forget their masks.
- All families should download and use the My Symptom Checker portion of the Crush COVID App to screen their children before the school day for the following symptoms: fever, cough, chills, muscle pain, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, sore throat or loss of taste of smell. If students have risk factors or symptoms then they may not take yellow bus transportation or come to school.
- All students taking yellow school bus transportation will be screened daily by bus monitors. Monitors will ask students to provide a thumbs-up if they have no symptoms, or a thumbs-down if they are experiencing symptoms.
- All students who walk or get dropped off will be screened daily at school checkpoints using the same thumbs-up/thumbs-down system.
- Students and staff are expected to regularly wash or sanitize their hands throughout the school day.
- All Providence Schools buildings will have hand soap available in restrooms and hand sanitizer in locations where handwashing is not feasible.
Cleaning and Sanitizing
- All school buildings will receive a deep cleaning before the start of the school year.
- Our facilities vendor Aramark will be significantly increasing staffing to:
- Clean high touch surfaces in common areas throughout the day
- Sanitize bathrooms throughout the day and after each group use
- Clean and disinfect all school buildings on a daily basis including high-touch points like tables, desks, chairs, countertops, windowsills, cabinet handles and doorknobs, light switches, and telephones.
- Cleaning materials will be available in all classrooms and offices so staff can wipe down and clean surfaces throughout the day.
- To minimize opportunities for transmission, students will be placed in stable groups whenever possible. This means the same group or cohort of students will remain together, often in the same classroom, throughout the school day.
- Stable groups will be up to 30 students under Partial In-Person reopening and up to 15 students under Limited In-Person reopening.
- Interactions between stable groups will be limited wherever possible.
- Social distancing of six feet or more will be implemented where possible including in hallways and stairwells.